Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A rock and a hard place

Today (Tuesday) being Melbourne Cup day was a very interesting day at work. Not only is work strewn with decorations and real-life ponies with real-life shit as part of the theme, BUT, we are extremely busy, AND, we have to dress up. This is not always a bad thing, last year I got to be a bookie and wear a cool polyester plaid suit and hat. This year I had to be a jockey.

Having anticipated that we would be dressing up I did not wear my work cl0thes to work as I could not be bothered ironing a shirt that I would inevitably not be wearing anyway (actually my mum usually irons my shirts for me anyway) so I wore 'normal clothes'. When I woke up this morning to put on said normal clothes I noticed a t-shirt in my drawer that hadn't been worn in ages: the best bit about this is that is was a 'Human Nature t-shirt. It was given to me as a birthday present about 5 years ago in a flurry of year 2000/2001 humourous irony.

Anyway, so I was wearing a 'Human Nature' t-shirt underneath pink and purple jockey silks - Camp, granted. After the race at 3pm everyone else changed out of their costume into other stuff. What was I to do? Do I wear pink jockey silks all night or take them off and expose my 'Human Nature' t-shirt to a crowd of people that had been drinking all day and probably would not appreciate the humour that I find when I see myself or a fellow human wearing boy-band merchandise? I ended up keeping the jockey silks on all night and getting more compliments than abuse... there is something about when a long-haired, chemical abusing, boy-predator tells you that 'it's your colour' that makes you think again though... or not.

No comments: