Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The man is paranoid because beer made him bad.

Alright, alright, alright. Think about this, and we can narrow it down.

It probably wasn't anything that happened before midnight, I can remember that all pretty clearly (sort of clearly). I was getting along really well with everybody, I even bought a pretty generous round and had a nice conversation with the bartender.

Oh, fuck. It was outside in the smoking area. It didn't seem like it at the time, but I was probably berating people. I only really remember talking about myself, and the only circumstance in which I do that is to complain. I probably didn't even ask anyone else how they were. Fuck, I probably did the thing where I cut everyone off to make a loud observation about myself disguised as self-deprecation that is obviously designed to come across as cute and endearing - "He's a very funny and humble man" - fuck.

I'd bet everything I own on the fact that I used the phrase "what a cunt act, hey" in an honest attempt to make my own company more enjoyable. Granted, this is quite a funny thing to say, but it's circumstantial! Ah well, it's not that bad. Basically noone will remember, probably. I can vaguely remember politically overcompensating as well though... Yes, I did, almost constantly now I think of it. Fucken idiot, I ALWAYS do this. Why can't I just be a medium level of nice to black people? Why do I have to try and relate to people on their own levels? Why do I always assume the role of judge in all matters relating to how people should be spoken too?

I shouldn't have taken in those palm cards with rude phrases on them. I should not have spent most of the night (all of the night) impersonating Conor Oberst. I should not have used the words "badly injured child"* and "selfish" in the same sentence. I should not have described the man wearing a beret as "shit".

* Authors note
I changed this, it originally said something with far more impact. I was quite happy with it until I slept for eight hours then woke up from a dream where I was getting chased down by Today Tonight for my insensitivity being "beyond a joke." I don't think my explanation that "it was meant to be awful," would have held up under the harsh interrogation lights of the Australian public.
- J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having used the Delezio crack a few times myself, I am appalled it has been removed.
Stephen

Unknown said...

Can we see the unedited version please...