Thursday, July 17, 2008

Frank Sartor on "Pilgrims"

James has asked me to write about the Pilgrims that are visiting Sydney for World Youth Day:

It seems that a lot of people are making comments about these visitors to our city. At training last night I overheard Pete (coach of First Grade) talking to Grub (#8 for Seconds). Their conversation:

Pete: Fucken' pilgrims. Mate, I don't wanna make a big go of it, 'cos I know some of the boys are Catholic.
Grub: Yeah, like Legsy...
Pete: Yeah yeah, Legsy and quite a few of the others too. But I'm pretty sick of these chopper cunts in orange backpacks."
Grub: Thommo's one too I think, and his brother.
Pete: Yeah, Thommo and Hollywood. Marist boys.
Grub: But those boys are always rootin'!
Pete: Exactly mate. The religion's bullshit!

Pete and Grub are good friends. They often have a cigarette together next to the sheds before training. Grub's brother is in gaol (jail), I'm not sure why, but once Pete punched a Blue Mountains bloke in the throat for making a joke about it.