Sunday, December 09, 2007

Post-review pressure.

"I guess I just want to do something really good?"
"Well, yes... But I think you ought to be a touch more specific than that."
"Um, Okay. I have alot of ideas. The problem is in the translation, they get blurred, fractured in a way."
"..."
"Yesterday morning I woke up with the concept for an Australian television mini-series script in my head, then I had to go work. By the time I got home it was gone, and my head was just filled with ideas for writing a fourth series for Arrested Development. Arrested Development was an American sitcom that finished after-
"-Yes, I am familiar with the program"
"Exactly. So you can fully understand that the idea for a fourth series is ridiculous! And even if it was plausible, I couldn't write that. It would take a bigger person. Oh and by the way, you cut me off just before."
"I apologise, but I am struggling here. I am here to help you, but you have to give me something to work with."
"Okay, but why are we wasting time sitting here anyway? I promise that when you get me a job I will go every day and complete it. You will get your commission and I will get paid."
"What about Weight Watchers?"
"That was your fault! That was your fault for sending me to Weight Watchers!"
"Calm down."
"Why would you send me there? Firstly I'm male, secondly I'm skinny, thirdly scanning AFTER photos of women with those aprons of skin was completely crass."
"That was the first temp job I got you and you got fired after two days for not doing what was asked of you. How can you expect me to put my reputation on the line to get you more work when you've already let me down?"
"I didn't let you down. You let yourself down by involving yourself with Weight Watchers. That office is all 30 year old women who just sit around talking about how the Bondi Junction Westfield is a pretty awesome place to spend Sunday. One of them talked about her boyfriend's indoor soccer grand final for an hour. It's the roughest of scenes."
"Don't be pathetic. All you had to do was turn up on time every day for a single week, and you couldn't manage. I'm sure Arrested Development's script writers turn up on time every day."
"What? Don't talk to me. Arrested Development's script writers eat pub lunches for breakfast and spend all afternoon drinking cordial and swimming. It's a REAL job.
And I DID turn up on time to Weight Watchers, the only reason I got fired was for taking an t-shirt from a prize box."
"You mean 'a t-shirt?'"
"Irrelevant, friend."
"What did you take the t-shirt for?"
"There's maybe not one man in a hundred with a pink Weight Watchers 'Prizewinner' t-shirt. It's hilarious. No, I'm hilarious."

2 comments:

franith said...

"...in one of the most widely anticipated blog follow-ups since Kevin Mitchell's 'Fuck i am such a nerd' series, Dad delivers in trademark style by stooping to new lows of post-modernism, while at the same time retaining the deceptive 'in-joke' aesthetic of his earlier work..." - Inner West Courier

Stephen said...

I could think of rougher scenes. I wasn't sure whether to go the Delezio or Orkopolous angle, so I'll leave it to your discretion. Congrats on the great review in Two Thousand magazine! How random was that?!!