Monday, November 05, 2007

Dear Social Photographer,

I shall never forget the first, unforgettable aural sensation that proved your existence. "Click. Click." "Click. Click." You elegantly pranced from smoking section to restricted area with grace and beauty, most alarming. Then, I saw you front on. Digital SLR partially obscuring your face, you were laughing and talking to a group of people about "gallery space" and the kinds of art that are not very good, but easy to talk about.

I watched you as you stood on the side of the stage, photographing people dancing to a popular song. I watched as you gave your camera to a friend with bright red hair and an arrogant gait while you were indisposed in the toilet. This seemed to make sense to me.

I stood in the background whilst you took an image of two men who play songs for money. You would not notice this on your lonely nights in the darkroom, as your camera is digital, and you could never be lonely.

I smiled as you pointed your camera in my direction. My veins frosted over in anticipation of your aperture inhaling the light around me. Alas, my interpretation of your intention was incorrect. You were photographing the shoes of a tattooed man with an angelic smile.

Blame you, I can not.

Kind Regards,

Xxxxx Xxxx-Xxxxxxx*

*Authors identity obscured.

2 comments:

nina said...

did you see tights man in cybele's photos? or was it babygotframed? or that hobo-something?

dudes got flare.

Anonymous said...

I always saw the social photographer as a demeaning and submissive profession; having to ask for poses and permission.

It feels like the social photographer here has the power but I often feel like it is the opposite