Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I bet there's maybe not one dude in a million who wrote as many cheques as I did yesterday.

At my latest temp job yesterday I wrote more than two hundred (200!) cheques. I would argue that I was one of very few men walking around that did such a thing. Jane, the other temp, wrote 225(!) but was disqualified as she is a lady.

Me and Jane were a team. People stared up twelve levels from street level through the glass windows at us diligently spelling out dollar and cent amounts and knew that we were the best. Collectively we could have bought probably 10,000 White Stripes albums with the cheques we wrote yesterday. We were ablaze (on fire).

The reinforced glass of the office was the only thing holding us back from shooting over the Sydney skyline, hovering over tiny cars and people, majestic and relaxed in swivel chairs, using the aerial view to plan our route home, all effortlessly listing the street names with verbatim. When it was time to come down we would call the recruitment lady as we didn't have the number of anyone in the office, and you need a building pass to use the lift.

I spent the rest of the afternoon impressing coworkers with my knowledge of licensed premises:
"Name any pub and I'll tell you it's opening hours"
"I don't drink. Please just keep writing cheques."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James you honest to god make me shit myself laughing. very embarasing. Danny, Canne.