Wednesday, April 11, 2007

These bland conversations and crap observations will in time outpace and outlive you.

Although I have finished studying, I find that people (mainly older) generally assume that I am still a student. I assume this is due to my surplus in free time, casual dress, frequent drunkeness and lack of obvious career direction.

---

"So how's uni going, James?"
"I've finished actually."
"So what does that leave you with then?"
"Well, I have an Arts degree in Australian history and Performance Studies and half of a postgraduate journalism diploma."
"So you're a bit of an actor?"
"Umm, no, it was more about the study of performance as art and ritual across different societies."
"Did you have to go to the theatre for assignments and things?"
"Not really. I went to Performance Space once, and part of the play was walking in the door through a group of naked people lying on the ground."
"God! They're teaching that in Universities?"
"I know. I probably should have done something more practical."
"But being a journalist is practical. There are alot of journalists on good money."
"Yeah. I don't like journalism very much though. There are way too many people that are better at it, and like it more than me. I don't really like the idea of competing with them."
"So what do you do now?"
"Well, I work at a newspaper, which is kind of journalism... But my job is pretty much me sitting in a room while everyone else is asleep. I quite like it though, haven't been sunburnt hardly at all this summer."
"Is that going to lead to a better job?"
"Well, I thought so. But the guy I relieve at nights is 41 years old and has been doing the exact same job since he was 15... So I don't know that the Arts degree was necessary in the end... But that guy doesn't get to sit and ponder whether Artaud was a madman or a genius at night, so, spirals and staircases."
"Spirals and what?"
"Ummm. I don't actually know what that means, sorry. Ricky Gervais said it once, and I just ram it cheaply into any context... Some people laugh. You're the first person that's ever questioned it actually."
"I think you misheard what he said. That is not a saying at all."
"Oh."
"Have you ever thought of going into the business world?"
"Yeah, but I don't like the idea of people in suits carrying backpacks to work. And I know if I got a corporate job I'd eventually stop carrying a briefcase because it weighs me down on one side, I'll just throw my important files and bottle of water into a backpack - probably won't even wear a jacket in summer. I just can't see myself pulling it off well, you know?"
"There's alot more to the corporate world than backpacks, James. And besides, we live in a humid city, it doesn't make sense for everyone to wear their jackets all year around."
"I know, I know. Look, I'll speak to you for hours about the cultural cringe, but I just feel it completely devalues the suit and the entire image. So, I've ruled out that entire field."
"Everyone ends up in a suit one day young man, look at Peter Garrett."
"Well, yes, but not everyone ends up a Labor MP. Look at Paul Hester from Crowded House."
"He's dead."
"Sad isn't it?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checked my calendar. Yesterday it would have been too soon, but today is fine for Hester jokes. I think his family are over it now...

Steve

Anonymous said...

you are the king of solo two sided conversations.

jess.