Monday, November 27, 2006

The Veronicas, Max from Big Brother and Myf Warhurst (myfwar-HURST)

INTRO - Irrelevant My security guard mate did not greet me with his regular warmth as I arrived for work tonight. I feel something may be on his mind. If I was a regular day time worker, I would ask him if he is alright. However, it is my strict duty, as a fellow night-shift worker to only talk about working at night, usually with jokes

'NUB PAR' AND END OF INTRO:
A commonly used example of one of these jokes is simply: "good morning!" This is hilarious as it is 10pm, and not morning at all. Regular "day-folk" (as we have come to know them) may use a variation, say, "good evening" when a co-worker arrives at 9:15am instead of the regular starting time of 9:00am.

CONCLUSION: I have recently discovered that having membership cards to nightclubs in Sydney make you a better person. Until last Friday I always assumed that this law of thumb was limited to members of the Cargo Bar/Bourbon ideology, who invariably preach the following:
1. Losers in pastel tsubis (ksubi?)/popped collars/both go upstairs
2. Bigger losers in pastel tsubis/popped collars/both with no female company downstairs
3. Females are usually granted entry, on which level will depend on various things: calibre/lack of male company, looks AND age
4. Ethnic minorities need not apply, unless they are a) Of Asian appearance, but "ok, because you talk like us and play sport"*
- Example 1: Yumi Stynes
- Example 2: Richard Cheequee (former NSW cricketer and rhythm guitarist in Brett Lee's musical side project "Six And Out"
- Example 3: Anyone that works in high-end street fashion retail
b) The exception in a group
- Example 1: The one Indian male that seems to inhabit every cricket team
- Example 2: Akmal Saleh hanging out with Shane Bourke, Tom Gleisner and Fifi Box after filming Thank God You're Here nb Tony Martin and Arj Barker both agreed that a night club was "a bit much for a weeknight."
- Example 3: The singer from Bloc Party
c) Refreshingly not-white, but popular with white people
- Example 1: Jessica Mauboy
- Example 2: Ernie Dingo
- Example 3: Singer from Bloc Party

*Special thanks to Simon Ng for use of that brilliant quote from unnamed ex-student of a school that has a girl in it's cricket team.

... Well, having been given a members card to Vegas, which lives just above Q-Bar, I met up for my scheduled date with The Veronicas on Friday night. Having heard great things from Lowie (unemployed) I was a bit disappointed to here them use the "c" word so many times in each sentence. Apparently they learnt it from a Channel V presenter of Asian descent who, funnily enough, gets the nod for upstairs Cargo on even the busiest Saturday night. My spirits were lifted when I finally (see previous post) got to meet Myf Warhurst (read: Myfwar-HURST) as she was sans security for the evening. The conversation laid itself out in the following way:

Pierced lip Veronica: "James, this is Myf"
Alan Borough's opposing captain in Spicks and Specks: "Hi, nice to meet you"
Simmo's oldest and most loyal subject: "Hello Myf! I know you from television!"

As I watched my chances of being on Myf's team during next series evaporate into the busy smoke-vents of the Vegas Lounge I shrugged, turned, and went searching for a TV personality stupid enough to appreciate the level of conversation that the evenings consumption had left me with.

This didn't take long at all, as just as we spilled out onto Oxford St, after exchanging quick hugs with the most huggable member of Roshambo, we ran into Max, the not-at-all-loveable intruder from BB06, who (and I don't have a fact checker handy, my security guard friend downstairs firmly takes no interest in the cult of the celebrity, and decries the idea of fame for fames sake) I believe pashed Camilla.
My line worked far better this time, and resulted in not only one, but three photos. The best of which I have pictured here.

The Veronicas and BB06s very own Max.





















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't see the photo. upload it to something like photobucket.com and then use the tag from there. loser.

Anonymous said...

"...and went searching for a TV personality stupid enough to appreciate the level of conversation that the evenings consumption had left me with."

Tim from Meet The Folks?

Anonymous said...

Hey bro, Im one of tommys mates from Adelaide. I suppose I just wanna say that I enjoy your writing... Having lived in Syd for most of my life, your insights delight and amuse.
"It just sounds a bit gay,"
"-s'not GAY"

Anonymous said...

Dear Simmo's loyalist and Bravest I am writing to inform you of a website which has recently come to my attention namely simmo.com a site dedicated to the 'real' simmo a British Porsche race driver whos interests include Scuba diving, skiing and fitness training. I hope the appropriate action is taken and the universe is returned to order.