Saturday, October 28, 2006

Great Humanitarians Of Our Time: Garret, Healey , Ross-Edwards

From: James Ross-Edwards
To: savebarkercricket@hotmail.com
Cc: reception@barker.nsw.edu.au, jeremy_von_einem@barker.nsw.edu.au, prudence_rogers@barker.nsw.edu.au, matthew_macoustra@barker.nsw.edu.au, hm@barker.nsw.edu.au, heather_graham@barker.nsw.edu.au, john_mock@barker.nsw.edu.au, peter_miller@barker.nsw.edu.au, colin_reid@barker.nsw.edu.au, len_nixon@barker.nsw.edu.au, newsdesk@smh.com.au, newsdesk@theage.com.au, newsroom@news.com.au, hugh.martin@news.com.au, Peter.Garrett.MP@aph.gov.au
Subject: SAVING BARKER CRICKET?
Sent: Tuesday, 24 October 2006 9:06:53 AM


To those campaigning to SAVE BARKER CRICKET,

Never have I received an email forward that has been sent to such a high calibre of Barker personalities, it really is the who´s who. Kudos, savebarkercricket@hotmail.com. I also liked what you did with the red sign, I honestly nearly shed red and blue tears of nostalgia. What a great idea to let Peter Garret know about your valiant crusade as well. I´m not sure about the MPs politics now, but I'm pretty sure I remember a Midnight Oil song that championed the tradition of a male-only cricket team, or was it Indigenous land rights?... I always forget, great band though!

I'm frightfully concerned to hear that Barker cricket is under attack, when I read the subject I thought it may have been terrorists or (far less likely) a lack of funding and resources. Imagine my shock when I read that Barket cricket needs to be saved by... a schoolgirl who happens to be talented enough to play with the boys.

Is this particular girl going to really destroy the game? Or just bruise a few egos of old, conservative Barker/cricket tragics who can't seem to see the role of the female on No. 1 Oval as venturing past The Marks Pavilion cutting oranges.

Perhaps still being in a post-adolescent stage of rebellion, I don't like to say this to the school I went to (and loved, nearly always), but to whoever is in charge of cricket - good on you. I'm sure this girl deserves her place in the team, even if it means a few whingeing old boys, and one poor kid feels emasculated for a few weeks in the seconds... It's probably a good lesson anyway, it happens alot in the future - just try studying any tertiary level humanities.

I thank you for alerting me to this problem. And in the future if Barker cricket ever comes under serious threat again: fire/flood/famine. Please, do not hesitate to contact me, I will gladly help: water/bucket/bread.

Yours sincerely,
James Ross-Edwards, Class of 2002

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What no comments! It's a brilliant peice of writing, should have made the front page of the telegraph.

Anonymous said...

Infact it should have made the front page of the smh - maybe one day.